Today’s Reading: Matthew 22:34-46
In today’s passage, Jesus gets to the heart of what it means to be a follower of Christ. Once again, when faced with a question that was designed to trap Him, Jesus reduces everything down to two main concerns. A follower of Christ must concern themselves with loving God and loving others. While this seems much too simplistic, this is incredibly helpful as we make decisions in our lives. I wholeheartedly believe that when we make these two concerns our primary concerns, we will not only please God, but we will have an incredible impact on those around us. Furthermore, these two commands should guide everything that we do and should act as the filter by which we make all of our decisions.
While these two commands sound easy, they have proved to be very difficult as selfishness often gets in our way of fulfilling these commands. Many are far more concerned with their personal freedoms than with loving their neighbor. However, when we live how Jesus has called us to live, our personal freedoms or rights should not even be taken into consideration. We exist, as Jesus points out, to love God and love others. If we would focus on these two commands, we would see something incredible take place.
- We would see churches filled with people who live to please others rather than themselves.
- We would see families who exist to serve each other within the family rather than see what is in it for them.
- We would see employees who would do anything to work for employers who are Christ followers because they would be simply irresistible to work for.
- People would be drawn to us not simply because of what we believe, but because of how much we care for those around us. This would cause them to want to know what we believe.
- We would be known in our community…not for what we could gain…but for what we give.
The command to love God and love others would simply make us and our church irresistible. Wow! What if we just focused on these two commands of Jesus. This would be a game changer!